Resources and Publications
It is our intention with this page to provide recommendations and selected reviews of a wide range of books and other materials that should be of interest to anyone who wants to explore writings and visual works of various kinds about the Crown of the Continent (including Glacier-Waterton International Peace Park) and Greater Yellowstone (including Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks). We will be adding to these lists regularly, and we also welcome your suggestions for books, articles, films and videos that we haven’t included here but should, as well as your comments on what we do provide here. You may send those comments to us at our e-mail address: email@example.com.
Reviews and Bibliographical Recommendations
Videos and CDs
Seasons of the National Parks: GLACIER.
A Musical Journey Through The Four Seasons. Music by CSSmusic, Photography by George Ostrom. Winner of the 2008 Telly Award. 59 minutes play time. More information a Earth Video Works.
Books on Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park
- Gail Shay Atkinson & Jim Atkinson. A History of the Isaak Walton Inn and Essex, Montana. Essex, MT: The authors & Isaak Walton Inn, 1995.
- Jerry DeSanto. Logan Pass: Alpine Splendor in Glacier National Park. Guilford, CT: Falcon Guides, 1995.
- Gerald A. Diettert. Grinnell’s Glacier: George Bird Grinnell and Glacier National Park. Missoula: Mountain Press Publishing Co., 1992.
- Ray Djuff and Chris Morrison. Glacier’s Historic Hotels & Chalets: View with a Room. Helena, MT: Farcountry Press, 2001. Read the Review
- William E. Farr. Julius Seyler and the Blackfeet: An Impressionist at Glacier National Park. Norman, OK: U of Oklahoma Press, 2009.
- Bert and Jane Gildart. Glacier National Park Pocket Guide: A Falcon guide. CT and Helena MT: Falcon Press, 2008.
- Robert C. Gildart. Montana’s Early-Day Rangers. Helena, MT: Montana Magazine, 1985.
- Barbara Grinder (Valerie Haig-Brown and K. Van Tighem, eds.). Voices in the Wind: A Waterton-Glacier Anthology. Waterton Lakes, AB: Waterton Natural History Association, 2000.
- C.W. Guthrie. All Aboard! For Glacier: The Great Northern Railway and Glacier National Park. Helena, MT: Farcountry Press, 2004.
- C.W. Guthrie. Glacier National Park. The First 100 Years. Helena, MT: Farcountry Press, 2008. If you purchase the book through the UM Bookstore, a generous portion of the price will be donated to the UM Crown of the Continent and Greater Yellowstone Initiative.
- C.W. Guthrie. Going to the Sun Road: Glacier National Park’s Highway to the Sky. Helena, MT: Farcountry Press, 2006.
- Warren L. Hanna. Stars Over Montana: Men Who Made Glacier National Park History. Glacier National Park, MT: Glacier National History Association, 1988.
- Shannon Fitzpatrick Kimball & Peter Lesica. Wildflowers of Glacier National Park. Helena, MT: Riverbend Publishing, 2005.
- Becky Lomax. Glacier National Park (Moon Handbooks, 2nd. ed.). Berkley, CA: Avalon Travel-Perseus Books Group, 2009.
- Graham A. MacDonald. Where the Mountains Meet the Prairie: A History of Waterton Country. Calgary, AB: University of Calgary Press, 2000.
- Erik Molvar. The Trail Guide to Glacier National Park. Helena, MT: Falcon Press, 1992.
- Chris Morrison. Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park: Born of a Vision. Waterton, AB: Waterton Natural History Assoc. & Pincher Creek Rotary Club, 2007.
- Bridget Moylan. Glacier’s Grandest. A Pictorial History of the Hotels and Chalets of Glacier National Park. Missoula: Pictorial Histories Publishing Co., 1995, 6th Printing 2007.
- Michael J. Ober. Glacier Album. Historic Photographs of Glacier National Park. Helena, MT: Riverbend Publishing, 2010.
- George Ostrom (with the Over-the-Hill Gang). Glacier’s Secrets, Vol. II: Goat Trails and Grizzly Tales. Helena, MT: Farcountry Press, 2000.
- Chris Peterson (ed.). Glacier at a Gallop: Favorites, Outtakes and Final Edits from the Photographers of the Hungry Horse News. Hungry Horse, MT: Hungry Horse News, 2005.
- Len Petersen. The Call of the Mountain: The Artists of Glacier National Park. Tucson, AZ: Settlers West Galleries, 2002. Read the Review
- Brian Reeves (Leslie B. Davis and Claire Bourges, eds.). Mistakis: The Archaeology of Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park. Glacier National Park: National Park Service, 2003.
- Brian Reeves and Sandra Peacock. “Our Mountains Are Our Pillows”: An Ethnographic Overview of Glacier National Park. West Glacier, MT: National Park Service, 2001.
- David Rockwell. Glacier: A Natural History Guide. Guilford, CT: Falcon Guides, 2007.
- Russ Schneider. Fishing Glacier National Park. A Falcon Guide. 2nd ed. Guildford, CT and Helena, MT: Pequot Press, 2002.
- Paul Schullery (text) and Marsha Karle (art). This High, Wild Country: A Celebration of Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park. Albuquerque, NM: University of New Mexico Press, 2010.
- James Willard Schultz. Blackfeet Tales of Glacier National Park. Helena, Riverbend Publishing, 2002. With an Introduction by Darrell Robes Kipp. The original publication of this book appeared in 1916.
- Vicky Spring and Tom Kirkendall. Glacier-Waterton International Peace Park. Seattle, WA: The Mountaineers Books: 2003/05.
- Gordon Sullivan. The Photographer's Guide to Glacier National Park: Where to Find Perfect Shots and How to Take Them. Woodstock, VT: The Countryman Press, 2010.
Books on the Greater Crown of the Continent
- Frank Clifford. The Backbone of the World: A Portrait of the Vanishing West Along the Continental Divide. New York: Broadway Books, 2002.
- Lori S. Curtis. Flathead Watershed Sourcebook: A Guide to an Extraordinary Place. Flathead Community of Resource Educators/Watershed Education Committee, 2010.
- Dan Flores. Visions of the Big Sky: Painting and Photographing the Northern Rocky Mountain West. Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press, 2010.
- Rick and Susie Graetz. Montana’s Bob Marshall Country. Rev. Ed. Helena, MT: Northern Rockies Publishing, 2004.
- Rick and Susie Graetz. Montana’s Flathead and Glacier National Park, 2nd Ed. Helena, Northern Rockies Publishing, 2007.
- Steven L. Grafe (ed.). Lanterns on the Prairie: The Blackfeet Photographs of Walter McClintock. With Contributions by William E. Farr, Sherry L. Smith, and Darrell Robes Kipp. Norman, OK: Univeristy of Oklahoma Press, 2009.
- Jennifer Hamilton. Fernie: A Celebration of 100 Years. Rockies Network, 2003. Read the Review
- Brent R. Laycock (paintings) and Fred Stenson (prose). Waterton: Brush and Pen. Calgary, AB: Fifth House Ltd., 2008 (paperback).
- Chris Morrison. Waterton Chronicle: People and their National Park. Waterton Park and Calgary, AB: Goathaunt Publishing, 2008. Read the Review
- Salish-Pend d’Oreille Culture Committee, et al. The Salish People and the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Lincoln, NE & London, England: University of Nebraska Press, 2005.
- Michael Sample. Glacier On My Mind: The Best of Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park in Words and Photographs. Photography by Michael Sample. Helena & Billings, MT: Falcon Press, 1997.
- Ralph Waldt. Crown of the Continent: The Last Great Wilderness of the Rocky Mountains. Foreward by Ivan Doig. Helena, MT: Riverbend Publishing, 2004, 2008.
- Diana Wilson (ed.). Triumph and Tragedy in the Crowsnest Pass. Surrey, BC: Heritage House Publishing, 2005.
Books on Yellostone and Grand Teton National Parks
- Aubrey L. Haines. The Yellowstone Story. A History of our First National Park. 3 vols. Rev. ed. The Yellowstone Association for Natural Science, History & Education, Inc. with U. of Colorado Press, 1977.
- Marsha Karle (ed.). A Yellowstone Album: A Photographic Celebration of the First National Park. Boulder, CO: Roberts Rinehart Publishers, 1997.
- Brian Kevin. Compass American Guides: Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. New York: Fodor, 2009.
- Nathaniel Pitt Langford, Foreward by Aubrey L. Haines. The Discovery of Yellowstone Park. Journal of the Washburn Expedition to the Yellowstone and Firehole Rivers in the Year 1870. Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press, 1972.
- Douglas MacDonald & Elaine S. Hale (eds.). Yellowstone Archaeology. Northern Yellowstone. Missoula, MT: Department of Anthropology Contributions to Anthropology, Vol. 13 (1), 2011.
- Marline Deahl Merrill (ed.). Seeing Yellowstone in 1873: Earliest Descriptions and Images from the Field. Lincoln, NE & London, England, University of Nebraska Press, 2005.
- National Park Service. Yellowstone Resources and Issues Handbook. U.S. Department of the Interior: Yellowstone National Park, 2013.
- Michael Punke. Last Stand: George Bird Grinnell, the Battle to Save the Buffalo and the Birth of the New West. New York: HarperCollins, 2007.
- Diane Smith. Letters From Yellowstone. New York: Penguin, 1999 (Novel).
- Lee H. Whittlesey. Yellowstone Place Names. Helena, MT: Montana Historical Society Press, 1988.
Books on the Greater Yellowstone
- Pete Bengeyfield. Incredible Vision: The Wildlands of Greater Yellowstone. Helena, MT: Riverbend Publishing, 2003.
- George Black. Empire of Shadows: The Epic Story of Yellowstone. New York: St. Martin’s Press, 2012.
- Jim Carrier. Summer of Fire. Salt Lake City, UT: Peregrine Smith Books, 1989.
- Douglas Chadwick. Yellowstone to Yukon: National Geographic Destinations Series. Washington DC: National Geographic Society, 2000.
- John J. Craighead, et al. The Grizzly Bears of Yellowstone: Their Ecology in the Yellowstone Ecosystem, 1959-1992. Washington DC: Island Press, 1995.
- Rick and Susie Graetz. Yellowstone River. From the Teton Wilderness to the Missouri. Text and Photography by R. and S. Graetz, aerial photography by Larry Mayer. Helena, MT: Northern Rockies Publishing, 2002.
- James C. Halfpenny. Yellowstone Wolves in the Wild. Helena, MT: Riverbend Publishing, 2003.
- James C. Halfpenny. Yellowstone Bears in the Wild. Helena, MT: Riverbend Publishing, 2007.
- Joel C. Janetski. Indians in Yellowstone National Park, rev. ed. Salt Lake City, UT: University of Utah Press, 2002.
- Robert B. Keiter and Mark S. Boyce (eds.). The Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem: Redefining America’s Wilderness Heritage. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 1991.
- W. Andrew Marcus, James E. Meacham et al. Atlas of Yellowstone. Berkeley and Los Angeles, CA & London, England: University of California Press, 2012.
- Marlene Deahl Merrill. Yellowstone and the Great West: Journals, Letters, and Images from the 1871 Hayden Expedition. Lincoln, NE & London, England, University of Nebraska Press, 1999.
- Marlene Deahl Merrill & Daniel D. Merrill (eds.). Up the Winds and Over the Tetons: Journal Entries and Images from the 1860 Raynolds Expedition. Albuquerque, NM: University of New Mexico Press, 2012.
- Rick Reese. Greater Yellowstone: The National Park and Adjacent Wildlands. Montana Geographic Series, No. 6). Helena, MT: Montana Magazine, 1984.
- Paul Schullery (ed.). Old Yellowstone Days. Boulder, CO: Colorado Associated University Press, 1979.
- Paul Schullery. Searching for Yellowstone: Ecology and Wonder in the Last Wilderness. New York: Houghton Mifflin, 1997.
- Paul Schullery. The Bears of Yellowstone. Denver, CO: High Plains Publishing, 1992.
- Florian Schulz. Yellowstone to Yukon: Freedom to Roam. Seattle, WA: Braided River, 2008.
- Jack Turner. Travels in the Greater Yellowstone. New York: Thomas Dunne (St. Martin’s Press), 2008.
- Cat Urbigkeit. Yellowstone Wolves: A Chronicle of the Animal, the People, and the Politics. Blacksburg, PA: McDonald & Woodward Publishing, 2008.
- Todd Wilkinson. Greater Yellowstone National Forests. Helena, MT: Falcon Press, 1991.
- George Wuerthner. Yellowstone and the Fires of Change. Salt Lake City, UT: Higgins House Publications, Inc., 1988.